Well Spring has well and truly sprung and Easter is almost upon us. The daffodils are out, the blossom coming into bloom and you can feel the freshness in the air. As always there is so much to keep all ages entertained across the North East and we have five different events to enjoy during April.
1. First off let us head out into the countryside and to the beautiful village of Horsley. It is home to the wonderful Hearth Arts Centre which is home to some fabulous North East Creatives. We love the Hearth as you are surrounded by such gorgeous scenery and just ten minutes from the A1. On Saturday 13th April between 10:30 - 12:30 the Hearth is hosting a free morning pop in event for children aged three to twelve years old. They can enjoy making a variety of Easter crafts in such creative surroundings. Whilst the children craft there is tea, coffee and nibbles for the adults to enjoy. As it finishes at lunchtime why not make a family day of it and head off along to Tyne Valley.The event is free but booking essential.
2. We do love a food festival and over the weekend of the 13th and 14th April Bishop Auckland is the place to be. It proudly boasts its food festival as the regions biggest. Here you can enjoy some of the very best of the North East producers. The weekend offers celebrity chefs, cookery demonstrations and street entertainment. Certainly something to work up an appetite for.
More information on the food festival can be found at https://www.bishopaucklandfoodfestival.co.uk/
3. If there is one thing that all of the family can enjoy then it’s a good Easter Egg hunt and from the 6th - 28th April the magnificent Warkworth Castle is holding it’s Easter Adventure Quest. Join the hunt for the dragons eggs on a legendary quest over the Easter Holidays. There are clues to crack as the whole family follow the trail through the castle grounds. Those who triumph in the quest and track down the dragon egg receive a certificate, sticker and a chocolate treat. After all that questing why not enjoy some hearty fayre from one of Warkworth villages fabulous eateries. The quest costs £1 per child and no booking is required.
4. Did you ever think that you could travelling back in time with afternoon tea? Well thanks to the folk at the Ouseburn’s Victoria Tunnel you can. Saturday 20th April sees “Easter Tunnel and Tea”. Firstly the tunnel will take you on a one hour tour where you will learn some of its rich history and some fascinating stories along the way. Then it’s back out into the light and along to the nearby Hotel Du Vin for a wonderful afternoon tea with an Easter twist to it. Entry for two people is £41.50 which includes the tunnel tour and afternoon tea.
To book your place please visit: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/easter-tunnel-tea-tickets-57496751331
5. From previous event listings you know that we always love to include a seasonal fair. You can have a busy day on 20th April if the tunnel and afternoon tea offer tempts you as the Linskill Centre in North Shields is hosting its annual Easter Fair from 11:00am - 3:00pm. The fair is free entry and as always is focused on entertainment for all the family. There is the Linskill Easter Egg Hunt with clues to take the children around the building and win an Easter Egg (there will be two egg hunts one in the morning at 11:30am and one in the afternoon at 2:00pm).Throughout the event there will be performances from local groups on the main stage along with craft and gift stalls in Trevelyan Hall.
So have fun, get out and about and eat lots of chocolate!